Saturday, October 17, 2009

Love's Regret

And I loved you deeply
My heart it was yours
To you I belonged
I was myself no more

But truly such love
Was not your desire
For you gave none to me
And burned mine with fire

What was it you hated
That I wanted to give
Was it my face or my voice
Or how I wanted to live

We had once been friends
Until I told you that day
That I loved you so true
What more could I say

But to be loved by a girl
Was not your sweet way
You could not love me
You could not be gay

Occasionally I see you
You’ll stop and we’ll talk
Sometimes you’ll be lonely
And we’ll go for a walk
I remember the day
On my shoulder you wept
And said that with me
You wished you had slept

Perhaps one day soon
My dearest sweet love
We belong together
Like hands in their gloves

No comments: